Image Map

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Tomato Basil Soup


Somehow, overnight, my body decided to be sick. I literally could not tell you the last time I was sick. So, of course, I act like I'm dying. Because I don't get sick, and boyfriend will now bend to my will. (; That's a joke... kinda. This wasn't my planned post, but I had forced myself to the gym and just wanted a shower and to lay down. Anything that needed me to be involved was just not happening. And what does anyone crave when they're sick? Soup!
Either way, winter is coming (someone please get that). I may try to live off of soup throughout the fall and winter! It's just so warm and cozy...

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
4 Roma tomatoes
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
3/4 c. half & half or heavy cream
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 c. veggie broth
1 oz. fresh basil (mine was packaged)
2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste

How to:

Heat the oil in a large stock pot. Sauté the garlic, bay leaf, and crushed red pepper until the garlic is slightly browned. While that's going, toss your Roma tomatoes and basil in a blender and pulse. Ours was a little chunky. If you don't like that, blend away! Once the garlic has browned, dump the tomato/basil mixture in. Also dump in the can of crushed tomatoes. Bring that to a low boil, and add in the cream and brown sugar. I was about to omit this because I though it was weird, but don't. I promise. Mix all this together and let simmer for about 8-10 minutes. You could totally stick an immersion blender in now, if you have one and you want it creamy. I don't have one. *hint hint mom!* Add in the broth, salt & pepper, and seasoning. Continue to heat for another 3-5 minutes, until warm throughout.
Serve hot and steamy with some grilled cheese on the side!

I totally suggest tasting it throughout the process! I used a couple of recipes and kinda just made my own. When I walked away, boyfriend added in the Italian seasoning, and it was just right. He also made the grilled cheese while I whined about being sick. (: I have to give him that! If you're wondering, we use an Italian seasoning from Penzey's! That place is like a tiny spice heaven.



What is your favorite soup to make when you're sick? (:

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so tasty I'll have to make it ASAP. Just need to run to the store this weekend and get the stuff I don't already have.

    ReplyDelete