Image Map

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Veggie Pot Pies!


Hellooooo, there! I was working out last week, watching The Food Network (makes perfect sense, right?), and I they were making chicken pot pies. I miss those things... but I don't have to! Feeling inspired, I added it to this week's meal menu. I plan our dinners out weekly, because I'm slightly OCD and I just like to have a plan (and a grocery list).
So, anyway. This is something that turned out to be pretty easy, and you could totally add boiled, chopped chicken if you wanted that. By the way, I end up using only 3/4 a can of corn, because I eat it... I can't help it.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
3 red potatoes, cubed
3/4 can corn
3/4 can peas
3 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
2 c. milk
2 tsp. celery flakes
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Biscuit dough of choice


How to:
Preheat the oven to 350, and begin boiling the potatoes until tender. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Toss in the carrots and celery, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Set aside the carrots and celery in a bowl. In the same skillet, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour to make a roux, and let that cook for about 5 minutes (don't let it burn!). Slowly add the milk, whisking while you pour. Let that cook until it thickens, whisking occasionally. By this time, your potatoes should be done. Grease 4 or 5 ramekins, and place the potatoes in the bottom of them. Once the roux and milk has thickened, mix in the celery flakes, garlic powder, carrots, celery, corn, and peas. Let this mixture simmer for about 5 minutes. Time to assemble! Spoon the veggie mixture and liquid into the ramekins. Top with biscuit dough, and pop in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the biscuit is golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!





I kind of just adore little ramekins.
Who's going to try this and what would you add!? It turned out wonderful. Both boyfriend and his mom loved it. 
I'd love to know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment