Image Map

Sunday, August 10, 2014

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Quinoa Chili


Shit... Please excuse my ever present tardiness.
So although it's hot as shit out here in Ohio, I long for cooler weather and the yummy soups and chilis  (and clothes) that go with it. Since we don't eat meat (obviously), I wanted something that made the chili a little hearty. Quinoa. Quinoa is always the answer. It's hearty, it's a great source of protein, and it's easy to make.







Ingredients:
2 cups quinoa, cooked
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded & diced
2 cans diced tomatoes (I used Hunt's Roasted Red Pepper)
1 can tomato sauce (I used Hunt's Dinner Starters for chili)
1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cans beans (I used black beans and chili beans)
1 can corn
Juice of 1 lime

How to:
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeño until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, and 1-2 cups of water. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let it cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beans, corn, and lime juice, and let that heat through for a couple of minutes. 
Serve immediately with chopped green onions, greek yogurt, avocado, cheese, etc!

Warning: This makes a ton a chili. It's freezer-friendly, though!
This is when I wish I lived in San Francisco, so I could enjoy this any time!


I'd love to know if you try this and how it turns out!! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment